My interest in lucid dreaming was ignited by my good buddy, M&M. He introduced me to the subject and told me that he used it to control his dreams and bend the reality of his dream world. If these types of dreams are true, then it’s possible to use this time productively while both your body and brain rest. A lucid dream, is a dream in which the dreamer is aware that they are dreaming and can control factors in their environment.
I've never been able to perform any lucid dreams before on my own so I looked to the internet for answers on how to start. This was the most basic process to induce a lucid dream state:
How to Start Lucid Dreaming per HowtoLucid.com
- Make sure your room is completely dark and quiet for bedtime.
- Get completely involved in the thought of lucid dreaming before bed.
- Do a lot of reality checks and ask the question, "Am I dreaming?"
- Turn off all screens an hour before bed.
- Set an alarm for two hours before you usually wake up.
- Wake up with your eyes shut.
- Let your body fall back to sleep while keeping your mind awake and aware.
- At this point you should enter a state of lucid dreaming.
Attempt Number One
Last night, I started the recommended steps for lucid dreaming. I made sure to not use any electronics for over an hour before falling asleep. I turned the lights off and lit a small candle in the hands of my sandstone Buddha. I thought about lucid dreaming and did reality checks at work, on the way home, and even while laying down right before bed. I even had my alarm set to go off at the right time to wake up with my eyes shut. I woke up, kept my eyes close and turned the alarm off and concentrated on being aware. It felt like I experienced body paralysis and experienced some images, but nothing discernable. At this point I fell back asleep.
I will for sure continue to try this method for lucid dreaming and research different ones if necessary. Even if it takes a while, it's a learned skill and will come with practice and patience.
My end goal with lucid dreaming is to deliberately use it as a tool to refocus my attention and expand my consciousness.